Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

23 Jul 2012


Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Australia
Release Date: August 2nd 2012
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Book Depository

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?


It’s not everyday I read about female teen assassins- and one known as the best in the country at that- so when I read “18-year old assassin Celaena Sardothien “ I just knew I wouldn’t rest until I got a copy! With all the hype surrounding the book, I dived into the book with insanely high expectations i.e. expecting it to be the best book in the universe!- but while it was a phenomenal book, it didn’t quite meet my “best book in the universe” expectation. But I still REALLY LOVED IT!

Celaena is not your average teenage girl. She’s a notorious assassin- the best and most feared in the country. Her skills are lethal, and you’d be stupid to want to spar with her! The girl can knock a guy, trained to battle, in 10 seconds flat. But here’s the thing: while I’m not an expert on assassins, I did expect Celaena to be a little more…reserved and more guarded about her emotions. Never would I have imagined she would flirt outrageously with the Prince, constantly thinking of how “achingly gorgeous” and “beautiful” he is. Truthfully, if it wasn’t for her witty retorts and her deadly fighting/killing skills (which more than enough compensated for her annoying habit of praising the Prince’s good looks), I probably would’ve found her a little irritating. Nevertheless, I admired both her determination to become the King’s Champion, and also her extensive knowledge on everything to do with killing people and the weapons involved! The girl is everything I love in a heroine – sarcastic, courageous and incredibly intelligent!

The love interests were both likeable and certainly worthy of being potential lovers of an assassin! I really can’t believe how tolerant I am of love triangles right now – I didn’t even mind this one! Prince Dorian is the flirty and playful one while Captain Chaol Westfall is more guarded, stoic but equally mesmerizing! I’ve officially chosen my team – TEAM CHAOL. So, I like Dorian and all, but Chaol is dependable, caring and the type who watches and loves from afar. He truly understands Celaena in a way no one else does! I REALLY hope Celaena and Chaol will end up together – seriously, after everything he’s done for her, SHE NEEDS TO REALISE HER FEELINGS FOR CHAOL ALREADY!

There was action- lots of action in fact! All the sparing, shooting, knife/dagger-weidling were so incredibly thrilling to read about! And that duels? EPIC. My mind was actually elsewhere when I started reading this particular fighting scene, but soon, I literally forgot what I was thinking when I became immersed in the duel! The plot was a little predictable – or at least the revelation was. I was sort of expecting it to happen and then ta-da! It did! But despite the slight predictablility, I still enjoyed the plot immensely!

Throne of Glass is everything you’d want in a YA book – a heroine who’s kick-ass both in the fighting and intelligence department, two irresistible guys whose presence actually serves a purpose, and some very exciting action throughout! Definitely grab a copy of this when it’s released- you really don’t want to miss out!! 


23 comments:

  1. So it wasn't quite the best book in the universe....well it still sounds kick butt awesome and you gave it five stars so it must be pretty darn good. I love books with kick butt chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A likeable love triangle.. I don't come across many of them, but since I loved the triangle in The Iron Fey I'm more open to them. This book sounds really good and I'm glad that I have a copy on Netgalley. Can't wait to get started.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this sounds like a great book, I'm kind of upset that I passed it up on Netgalley! :/ Oh well I can still buy it! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled across your blog and I love that the first review I see is for one of my favorites of the year! I absolutely loved ToG and I'm with you -- I SO did not mind the love triangle one bit. Chaol is my favorite, but Dorian was pretty great himself! Plus, Celaena, gah, I love that girl. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so lonely in my thoughts on this one, but I'm really glad you loved it Shirley! I couldn't quite get on board with Celaena, but I did enjoy the story overall and I'm looking forward to her next adventure! Oh, and I'm definitely Team Chaol as well, especially after what he did at the final showdown. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!!!!! 5 stars!!!! YAY! This book sounds SO awesome ! The action, characters, and romance all sound super well written! Thanks for sharing. I definitely need to look into this one. I am looking forward to the release of the book :-) Thanks for sharing!

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read much fantasy but after hearing people RAVE and talk about this, I'm interested to give it a go. I'm hoping that since I don't have any expectations that I'll really enjoy Throne Of Glass :) I've got this on my shelf and will be starting it (hopefully) next. I'm looking forward to seeing which team I'm on - Dorian's or Chaol's! Fab review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. DAFJLHDFA! YES YES YES! And this: "I did expect Celaena to be a little more…reserved and more guarded about her emotions. " ME TOO. Sometimes I thought Celaena was a little... careless? But I LOVED! AND CHAOOOOOL! BUT OMFG. Poor Dorian. MY EMOTIONS. They were both so lovely, and... seriously, I kind of loved it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually found Celaena a really... refreshing heroine, at first. It was nice that she WASN'T that reserved, guarded protagonist, because that's what we expect. But while I still enjoyed the book, I enjoyed it just a little less as the story went on. I think maybe I just felt it could have been shorter or... bleh, I don't know! I still need to write my review, so I'll have to think it over :) ANYWAY. I still did enjoy this! And I'm totally with you, Shirley - TEAM CHAOL! FANTASTIC REVIEW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just ran across another blog that did a review on this same book! :)

    Funny I haven't heard about it before! It sounds intriguing, only I wonder if I will like the main character. Like you say, I really would expect her to be more reserved, especially after all the crap she's gone through!

    Thanks for the review! :) Glad I ran across your blog! Looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, I am so glad to see reviews from you again! :)

    Throne of Glass souns great and I really enjoyed our review. It's interesting that Celaena wasn't exactly what you expected her to be, but it does sound like she can kick-butt! I have to read this soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOW did I not hear about this earlier! That's it. No more missing out on blogging for me. I miss it too much and I miss out on hearing about the epicness that are these sorts of books!

    This review is awesome! And I completely understand what you mean with love triangles, I normally can't stand them but there have been some very well written ones lately!

    Amazing review Shirley :D

    PS- THE COVER. ASHKDG OMG BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shirley, you and your persuasive reviews... :D

    I wasn't really interested in this book at first but you have totally won me over! Celaena sounds totally kick-ass, I ADORE strong female protags and I think I might just LOVE here. And yay, it's made you like love triangles!!! I'm a sucker for a book with two guys fighting over a girl so yup I need to read this! Plus you said it's action-packed so it's got to be trilling!!!

    Shame the plot was a little predictable and it didn't live up to your high expectations but I'm so glad you enjoyed it overall! Another amazing review, Shirrlleeeyyy <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. EEEEEEEE Shirley! We've had a discussion on this book before so you know how I felt about Throne of Glass but I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID ON YOUR REVIEW! After hearing great things about the book, I just had to read it and when I finished reading it, I loved it SO MUCH. I can't even choose between Dorian and Chaol. :P

    Anyway, awesome review, Shirley! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This seems so good, Shirley!! Thanks for putting it on my radar. Haha maybe I could learn some of Celaena's awesome ninja moves to come hunt you down?? XD Can't wait to meet the two irresistible guys!! They seem so swoon worthy and, yeah, definitely worthy of a kick-ass female heroine. I'm so excited - it's been SO long since I've read a book with a strong female MC! <333 :')

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ria @ The Beaucoup Review7 September 2012 at 18:44

    Ahhhh! I have this to read, and I really need to get round to it ASAP! It's a shame it didn't reach your high expectations, but I'm so glad you loved it, Shirely.(:

    Celaena just sounds like the perfect kick-ass character, I can't wait to meet her!<3 Brilliant review, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I'm so glad you loved this one too- I read it a little while ago and was astounded, especially as I went into it with middling expectations! Such a unqiue read!
    Romi @ Where the writer comes to write.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vivian @ Vivaciously Vivian7 September 2012 at 18:44

    Finally found a review on this book, and a super awesome review at that! Yes, I was definitely intrigued by that female assassin character as well, since it's always nice to have a kick-ass girl!! This sounds like an epic read! Thanks for the shining green light <3 Great review!!!

    New follower <3
    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keertana Anandraj7 September 2012 at 18:44

    I'm so glad you liked this one Shirley! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it, especially concerning the love triangle, but I'm glad to see it didn't bother you too much in this case. I've also seen a lot of Team Chaol, so I'm excited to meet him! ;) Fantastic review, Shirley! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sam @ Realm of Fiction7 September 2012 at 18:44

    YAY!! I'm so glad you loved this book too, Shirley! I completely agree about the love triangle. I suppose it sort of is one, but it didn't feel like a conventional triangle to me. Which is a good thing! So glad to hear you prefer Chaol! I'm pretty sure I've been pronouncing his name wrong but I do adore his character. :P Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you enjoyed this one! I've been seeing this around, and am so frustrated because I've been reading raving reviews (haha! alliteration :P god, I'm such a geek -___-) on this one, like, uh, EVERYWHERE. Thank you for the super amazing review :D I luvvvv it!

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome review Shirley, I too fell in love with this book, I'm not typically a fantasy reader either, so this book certainly too me by surprise, and I'm still torn between Chaol and Dorian too! I honestly can't wait for the next book in this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kickass girl, good love interests and awesome action?! *faints* MY PERFECT BOOK. That's why I've been so excited for this book for so long. It sounds so good and I'm glad it all worked out perfectly for you <33 I can't wait to open up my copy!!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day