Shiirleyy's Bookshelf has migrated to Dear Shirley ! I will continue to post book reviews but there will also be a lot of personal and travel-related posts :)

Book Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

28 Jul 2011


Title: The Iron Knight
Series: The Iron Fey #4
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin 
Release Date: 25th October 2011
Source: Netgalley 
Goodreads Synopsis: 
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

My Thoughts:
Amazing, riveting, brilliantly written…I can use a whole dictionary of adjectives and it won’t be enough to describe just how fabulous this last instalment in the Iron Fey series was! I absolutely LOVED it! Kagawa has guided us on yet another spell-binding journey across the realm of the Nevernever, this time, to an even more sinister place – The End of the World. There are no words to describe just how captivating this imaginary world is; I felt like I was part of their world, roaming the faerie lands and having to fight gremlins every day!

The storyline was solid and straightforward. In order to be with Meghan, Ash must earn a soul. And the only way to earn a soul, (which I might add, has never been accomplished before), he must embark on a dangerous quest to the End of the World and pass all the trials that stand between him and mortality. There were so many twists and turns; each as unpredictable as the previous turn of events! I loved how I couldn’t guess what would happen, and that kept me reading, page after page, impatient to find out what would happen next.  There were some majorly unpredictable twists that left my heart pounding furiously, and I was constantly holding my breath while reading, not knowing what was to come.

I must admit however, I was a bit doubtful and scared of what was to come during the middle because of something that happened (You’ll have to read to find out!) but as always, Kagawa managed to think of a perfect solution! There were several heart-wrenching scenes that left me aching inside. Which leads me to a certain question - Is it normal to actually feel the character’s pain? Because really, it’s never happened before!

The ending was perfect; a stunning and unforgettable finale to the Iron Fey series. I could not have asked for a better ending. I’m just terribly sad that The Iron Fey series has ended. No more Ash, my cold and mysterious-no-more Winter Prince, Puck, whose pranks will never cease to amuse me and Meghan, who will always be one of my favourite heroines! Goodbye Ash, Meghan, Puck, Grim and Wolf, don’t worry, you won’t be forgotten!

**Puck, my prankster friend, you have truly showed what a loyal, and dependable friend you are. If you ever get banished from the Summer Court by Lord Pointy Ears, feel free to visit me! I’m sure we’ll become best friends!

Rating: 5 stars

Favourite Quotes: 
Aren’t you already centuries old?” Ash lowered his head, drawing us even closer. “I went to the end of the world for you, and all you have to say is how well I’ve aged?”

I was in love. With a human. I smiled bitterly at the thought. The old Ash, if faced with such a suggestion, woul've either laughed scornfully or removed the offender's head from his neck." 

“My loyalty-and my heart-belong to another queen now”

&& so many others! But that's all I'll put up for now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section; I appreciate all comments left here!
If you have a blog, I'll be sure to visit it and comment back(I love finding new blogs so feel free to leave a link!)
Thank you & have a nice day